When Havre de Grace, Maryland was attacked by the British in 1813, a local militiaman by the name of John O’Neill single-handedly manned a battery at Concord Point that consisted of one nine-pounder and two six-pounder cannon in order to defend the town. A memorial to O’Neill that was placed on the site of the battery consists of a plaque and an iron cannon that was found in the Chesapeake Bay near Havre de Grace. The cannon used in the memorial dates to circa 1812 and is possibly one of the original cannons that O’Neill used. Just recently, the cannon was removed from the memorial and brought to the MAC Lab where conservators are stabilizing the deterioration caused by exposure to the elements. After the cannon is treated and protected from further damage it will be returned to the memorial at Concord Point.
For photos and a great article on this artifact, go to the September Curator’s Choice on our webpage!